Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Signs of Spring

In my world, there are two things that mark the changing of winter to spring.

One of those things is my first bike commute trip of the year. That event occurred for the first time in 2008 today.

Now, I know those of you who brave the elements 365 days of the year to ride your bikes to work are snickering at me right now...or worse. I'll admit it - I'm a weather wuss when it comes to riding to work. I'll ride on the weekends for exercise and fun in practically any kind of weather. Hell, I even rode in a snowfall a few weeks back. So, I think I have "hard man" credentials.

I'm not a person that can handle too many tasks first thing in the morning. (Just ask my wife.) The idea of putting on a bunch of wet weather bike gear and dealing with schlepping a change of clothes to work is far beyond my initial daily tasks consisting of showering, shaving, getting dressed, making a cup of coffee and feeding the cat.

I have primo end-of-trip cycling facilities at my work, complete with indoor secure bike parking, and a fully-equipped locker and shower room. I know all the bike commute tricks - taking several days of clothing to work, etc. But I just can't do it. At 44 years of age, I'm learning that there are a few limits to what I'll do. This is one of them. Besides, I figure that crappy winter weather is what this is for.

So I salute you, year-round bike commuters. You're better persons than I am.

The second sign of spring? That would be this.

UPDATE: 18:00 OK, so the weather gods must have a sense of humor. That, or I karmically screwed myself by waxing eloquent about the onset of spring, given that it rained on me during my commute home tonight. Not hard thankfully, because I didn't have any raingear with me other than my jacket. But hard enough to remind me of what a wuss I am.

Maybe I'll ride the bus for another week or three...

No comments: